The Behavioral Health Program Certificate was designed in response to the evolving needs of med-surg
nurses and the patients they serve. Every med-surg nurse can expect to give care to patients living with
behavioral health issues, such as schizophrenia and personality disorders, substance use disorder, and
We have heard the challenges med-surg nurses face caring for patients with
behavioral health issues in the medical-surgical setting, and this course is our answer to those challenges.
Throughout this course, you will gain the skills and knowledge you need to provide next-level care to patients
undergoing a behavioral health crisis in the med-surg setting, and do so while offering them compassion and
All practicing med-surg nurses are eligible to enroll in the Behavioral Health Program Certificate.
You do not need to be an AMSN member in order to purchase and benefit from this essential content
The Behavioral Health Program Certificate is part of the AMSN Elevate Series,
a mastery-level online learning series of programs that develops real-world skills and knowledge to empower
med-surg nurses to move ahead in their practice.
Fast Facts About The Behavioral Health Program Certificate
- Offers 5 hours of CE credit upon completion of course
- Learning modules include:
- Module 1: Suicide
- Module 2: Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
- Module 3: Complex Behaviors
- Module 4: Personality Disorders
- Module 5: De-escalation of Situations
The Benefits Are Clear: improved care for behavioral health patients, better overall outcomes and reduced
readmission, professional development and career growth!
Better Care for Better Behavioral Health
The AMSN Behavioral Health Program Certificate helps you achieve next-level care for behavioral
- 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. struggle with a mental health disorder.
- Nearly 30% of young adults (ages 18-25) have been diagnosed with a mental illness.
- 19 million Americans deal with substance use disorder, and in the wake of COVID-19,
that number is growing.
- More than 20% of adults with mental illness say they’ve tried and failed to receive
- 5.3 million Americans with mental illness are uninsured. These individuals are more
likely to seek treatment in the hospital, or with non-behavioral healthcare specialists.
- Though you may not specialize in behavioral healthcare, you will encounter patients
with specific and unique mental health needs in your medical-surgical practice setting.
- The best way to treat them is with compassion, understanding and a solid foundation of knowledge around
- The AMSN Behavioral Health Program Certificate gives you this solid foundation, by providing
you with next-level learning and real-world skills you can begin implementing right away.
Download Our Infographic
We look forward to having you join us in taking your med-surg learning to the next level. Want to explore more
about the Behavioral Health Program Certificate or the AMSN Elevate Series,
or have a question? Let’s connect.
with Questions Find Out About Opportunities
The AMSN Elevate Series is a series of certificate programs that will help
you develop focused knowledge and skills in a specific subject. These programs contain an assessment at the
conclusion of the program that will measure your knowledge and skills in order to demonstrate your mastery of
the topic. Successful completion of the program earns you contact hours. Obtain a digital badge after
successfully passing the post-course assessment to demonstrate your mastery. These micro-credentials can help
differentiate you in your practice. For more information visit our AMSN Elevate Series.